Tuesday 21 November 2017

Toddler died after getting caught in window blind cord while playing hide and seek

A child near a window blind (not victim - stock image)
A child near a window blind (not victim - stock image)

Claire Carter

A two-year-old died after she got stuck in the cord of a tangled window blind which strangled her, while she played hide and seek with her older brother.

Danielle Hudson found her daughter Sophie Allen hanging with the cord around her neck when she went to find her, after her four-year-old son Jayden said his sister was stuck.

Despite efforts to revive her Sophie was taken to hospital and put in an induced coma. The two year old died on Saturday, almost a week after the accident.

Miss Hudson, of Sunderland, said: “My son came in and said 'Sophie's stuck' and pointed at the cupboard. I didn't understand what he meant and just thought she was hiding.

"Then he came back and said it again. I walked over to the window and saw a shadow behind the curtain.

"I pulled it open and she was hanging with the cord around her neck.

"I lifted her up and carried her downstairs and her dad Peter tried to do CPR, while I called for an ambulance."

Sophie was taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital last Monday, where staff worked for more than an hour to resuscitate her. She was later transferred to Newcastle’s Royal Infirmary where she was given an MRI scan.

This showed she had suffered brain damage and the next day a further test found she had no activity in her brain at all.

Miss Hudson, a mother of three, is now warning other parents of the dangers of blinds in houses with young children.

"Blinds are something that practically every household has," she said.

"Just tie them out of the way, keep them out of reach of children, cut them or take them down altogether. Just make sure children have no access to them."

Telegraph.co.uk

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News