Wednesday 21 March 2018

Toddler died after falling into hot bath at home

Emma Hallett in London

The parents of a toddler who died days after falling into a hot bath at her home in the UK say they will live with the pain of losing her "for the rest of their lives".

Leanne and Dave Seers paid tribute to their "bubbly" and "mischievous" little girl Katelyn, who died after the accident in February 2007

An inquest in Wells, Somerset, was told the 18-month-old had suffered 30pc burns to her arms and legs.

The youngster got into the running bath while her mother used the toilet next door.

The couple's solicitor John White said Mr and Mrs Seers were relieved East Somerset coroner Tony Williams had completed his inquest into Katelyn's death.

In a statement Mr and Mrs Seers said: "Katelyn was a bubbly, mischievous and very active 18-month-old little girl who was full of love to everyone she met.

"The accident was a great shock and the pain will never go away."

Coroner Mr Williams yesterday recorded a verdict of accidental death.

He said he accepted pathologist Dr Hugh White's cause of death as septic shock due to scalding of the arms and legs.

The inquest heard yesterday that in 90pc of burns cases similar to Katelyn's the child would have survived and her case was very unusual.

After initially being admitted to Frenchay Hospital, which specialised in the treatment of burns, Katelyn appeared to be recovering.

But five days later she suffered a series of cardiac arrests and despite efforts to resuscitate her the difficult decision was taken by her parents not to revive her again.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News