Monday 19 March 2018

Toddler becomes fourth victim of house fire tragedy

Alex Diaz

A TODDLER has become the fourth victim of a house fire which killed his mother and two young cousins.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said 15-month-old Charlie Timbrell died at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool yesterday afternoon.

His mother, Lee-Anna Shiers, 20, was killed after the blaze broke out in Prestatyn, North Wales, while her nephew Bailey Allen, four, and niece Skye Allen, two, also perished.

Firefighters had managed to rescue Charlie and his father Liam Timbrell, 23, from their first floor flat in Maes Y Groes after it was engulfed in flames on Friday night.

Mr Timbrell, who remains in a critical but stable condition, was transferred to Whiston Hospital, Merseyside, after he and Charlie were originally taken to a local hospital.

North Wales Police are continuing to question two neighbours who were ground floor tenants at the property - a man, aged 45, and a woman, aged 42, who were arrested on suspicion of murder on Saturday.

A statement issued yesterday by police on behalf of the victims' relatives said: "The family of Lee-Anna Shiers, Skye Allen, Bailey Allen and Charlie Timbrell wish to thank the community of Prestatyn for all their flowers, cards and messages of condolences.

"A special thanks from all the family goes to those individuals who made every effort on this tragic night to help and assist with the rescue of Lee-Anna, Liam, Charlie, Skye and Bailey and those who offered their support to the fire service and police.

"Thanks also go to all the hospital staff who have assisted in the care and treatment of those concerned in this heartbreaking incident."

Miss Shiers' friend Chloe Hopkins, 20, described her as a "devoted mum" to Charlie.

She said: "I'm just devastated. She was the kindest person - she would do anything for anyone. I can't think of anyone who would want to do this to her."

One woman, who lives close by, said a neighbour had tried to mount a rescue as fire crews rushed to the scene.

Detective Superintendent John Chapman said: "My sincere condolences go out to the family at this tragic time.

"We will continue to work closely with North Wales Fire and Rescue Service to determine what exactly happened and to ensure a thorough and meticulous investigation into this incident."

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News