| 6.4°C Dublin

Teen murdered young mum in row over garlic bread


Alami Gotip

Alami Gotip

Jamie Ellis

Jamie Ellis


Alami Gotip

A teenager murdered a young mother of two in a frenzied knife attack after a row about garlic bread, a court in Scotland heard today.

Jamie Ellis stabbed Alami Gotip, 22, more than 30 times at her home in West Lothian, while her young children were asleep upstairs.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard 18-year-old Ellis, who was in an on-off relationship with Ms Gotip, snapped because she had been "moaning at him because he had not made garlic bread for tea".

He later told police he felt their relationship was coming to an end and said: "I love her that much I can't possibly imagine her with anyone else and I just thought f*** it."

Ellis, who is being held at Polmont young offenders' institution, now faces a life sentence after pleading guilty today to murdering Ms Gotip on May 25 this year.

Ms Gotip worked at the Inland Revenue and was described in court as a "bubbly and outgoing" person who loved life.

The court heard the "caring and supportive" woman helped to raise two of her siblings, who had health problems, and also helped to look after her mother.

After the death, her mother, Karen McKenna, told police: "Alami was my best pal, she was a mum to me, also like a sister to me.

"She's a loss that can never ever be replaced.

"She shouldn't have been taken away from me. I loved her so much, she was a big part of my heart. I don't know how I am going to go on without her."

Speaking outside court, Ms Gotip's cousin, Robert McKenna, 31, said: "They should bring back the death penalty."

At the time of the offence, unemployed Ellis had been in a relationship with Ms Gotip for seven months.

It was kept a secret from most of her family.

The victim had two young daughters from a previous relationship with Neil Henderson, and, despite their relationship ending in November last year, they remained close friends and shared childcare responsibilities.

Ms Gotip and Ellis broke up several times during their relationship and he was jealous of Ms Gotip's continued relationship with Mr Henderson.

The court heard that earlier on the day of the murder, Ellis had been taking Valium tablets and smoking several cannabis joints with friends.

He went round to Ms Gotip's house at 7.30pm and said he had started to cook a meal for them.

Neighbours later heard noises of heavy furniture being moved and a cutlery drawer or metal pan hitting the floor before everything went quiet.

After the murder, Ellis, crying and with blood and cuts on his hand, went to his cousin's house and told him: "I don't know what I've done."

He later pulled two bloodstained kitchen knives out of his trouser waistband and told his cousin: "I've f****** killed Alami, I've stabbed her. I stabbed her about 40 times. I lost it."

That evening, Ellis approached a friend of his, who noticed both sleeves on his hoodie were soaked in blood.

Ellis later told his mother over the phone: "I have done something bad. I have stabbed Alami."

When he met up with his father that night, he told him he had stabbed and killed Ms Gotip and wanted to hand himself into police.