Thursday 5 December 2019

Swiss museum accepts looted secret Nazi art haul

Christoph Schaeublin (L) of the Bern Art Museum and Bavaria's justice minister Winfried Bausback (R) shake hands beside Federal Government Commissioner for Culture Monika Gruetters after signing a contract on the collection from the late Cornelius Gurlitt in Berlin (REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke)
Christoph Schaeublin (L) of the Bern Art Museum and Bavaria's justice minister Winfried Bausback (R) shake hands beside Federal Government Commissioner for Culture Monika Gruetters after signing a contract on the collection from the late Cornelius Gurlitt in Berlin (REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke)
Swiss painter Ferdinand Holder's 'Der Holzfaeller' (the lumberman) is seen in the Bern Art Museum in the Swiss capital of Bern.The Bern Art Museum has agreed to accept artworks from a billion-euro collection from the late Cornelius Gurlitt, a recluse whose trove included masterpieces looted from their Jewish owners by the Nazis (REUTERS/Ruben Sprich)
Christoph Schaeublin of the Bern Art Museum signs a contract on the collection from the late Cornelius Gurlitt in Berlin. The Bern Art Museum has agreed to accept artworks from a billion-euro collection from the late Cornelius Gurlitt, a recluse whose trove included masterpieces looted from their Jewish owners by the Nazis (REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke)
Spanish painter Pablo Picasso's 'Die schlummernde Trinkerin' (the dozed drinker) is seen in the Bern Art Museum in the Swiss capital of Bern. The Bern Art Museum discovered in May it had been named sole heir of Gurlitt, the recluse who secretly kept the collection of more than 1,200 artworks hidden for decades until tax inspectors stumbled upon them on a visit to his Munich apartment in 2012 (REUTERS/Ruben Sprich)
Christoph Schaeublin of the Bern Art Museum, Federal Government Commissioner for Culture Monika Gruetters and Bavaria's Justice Minister Winfried Bausback hold the signed contract on the collection from the late Cornelius Gurlitt in Berlin (REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke)

Erik Kirschbaum

A Swiss museum has reluctantly agreed to accept part of a billion-euro art bequest from the late Cornelius Gurlitt, a German recluse whose secret collection included masterpieces looted from their Jewish owners by the Nazis.

Christoph Schaeublin of the Bern Art Museum (KMB) announced in Berlin it would accept all artworks bequeathed by Gurlitt which experts had ascertained had not been stolen by the Nazis. Others would remain with German authorities while their provenance was checked.

"This wasn't an easy decision for us and there were no shouts of joy," Mr Schaeublin said, admitting that the museum had to be persuaded by German Culture Minister Monika Gruetters.

"Any works of art deemed to be looted art or even considered likely to have been looted art will never darken the doorstep of the KMB," said Schaeublin, president of the museum's board of trustees. He said they would "not even touch Swiss territory".

When Mr Gurlitt died in May aged 81, the museum discovered it had been named sole heir to his collection of over 1,200 works. They had been hidden for decades until tax inspectors stumbled upon them in a raid on his Munich flat in 2012 after he was caught with large amount of cash on a train from Zurich. The improbable treasure trove of Modernist and Renaissance masterpieces, which includes works by Chagall and Picasso, was assembled by his father Hildebrand Gurlitt, a dealer charged with selling what Adolf Hitler dismissed as "degenerate" art.

"We will do everything in our powers to return art looted by the Nazis to the descendants of the Nazi regime's victims as quickly as possible," said Ms Gruetters.

A government task force has already identified three pieces indisputably taken by the Nazis which would be returned - by Max Liebermann, Henri Matisse and Carl Spitzweg.

The World Jewish Congress has warned the Swiss museum it risks an "avalanche" of lawsuits if it accepts the works. But Mr Gurlitt's former lawyer, Stephan Holzinger, said the museum's decision reflected his late client's wishes. Chris Marinello of the firm Art Recovery, representing the Rosenberg family which claims ownership of 'Sitting Woman' by Matisse, said the return of looted art would now be sped up.

"We're looking forward to the expeditious return of the Matisse and all the looted works to their rightful owners in the coming weeks," Mr Marinello told Reuters by phone from London.

Mr Schaeublin said the decision to accept had followed long, difficult deliberations.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News