Stomach illness forces queen (86) into hospital
Britain's Queen Elizabeth was admitted to hospital for the first time in nearly 10 years after suffering from gastroenteritis, Buckingham Palace said.
All official engagements for this week have been cancelled or postponed, including a planned trip to Rome to meet the Italian president Giorgio Napolitano.
Elizabeth, who turns 87 next month, is said to be in "good health and good spirits" apart from the stomach bug.
She is expected to stay for two days at the King Edward VII hospital in London, where the Duchess of Cambridge was treated for acute morning sickness last year.
She arrived there by private car from Windsor Castle at about 3pm after her physician, Professor John Cunningham, advised that doctors would be able to better assess her condition in hospital.
The monarch, who was first taken ill on Friday, rarely delays appointments due to ill health. Earlier yesterday, she gave a long-service award to a member of staff at Windsor Castle before starting to feel unwell after lunch.
A Palace spokesman said: "The queen is being assessed at the King Edward VII's Hospital, London, after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis.
"As a precaution, all official engagements for this week will regrettably be either postponed or cancelled."
The spokesman added: "This is a precautionary measure.
"She was not taken into hospital immediately after feeling the symptoms.
"This is simply to enable doctors to better assess her."
It is believed Elizabeth will not be taking visitors, so as to cause minimal fuss.
Downing Street said Prime Minister David Cameron had passed on his best wishes to the queen.
A handful of police officers stood guard at the entrance to the hospital, while a pack of television crews, photographers and reporters waited outside.
Elizabeth undertook a number of engagements last week. On Tuesday she met the Archbishop of Canterbury at Buckingham Palace, and on Thursday she presented a host of Olympic stars with honours.