Spanish police stop 'second terror attack' in town of Cambrils after 13 killed in Barcelona
- Police kill four 'perpetrators' and injure one in town of Cambrils
- Islamic State claims responsibility for deadly van attack in Barcelona
- Police spokesperson confirms crash is being treated as 'terrorist attack'
- White van mounted pavement and struck dozens of people
- Police release photo of suspect believed to have rented van
- At least 13 dead, at least 100 injured - authorities
- Two suspects arrested, two men 'shot dead' - local media
- Second van 'connected to attack' discovered 70km away
- People offer places to stay, medical aid, blood donations and baby supplies
Four suspected attackers have been shot dead and another injured by Spanish police in a second attack to hit Catalonia.
Seven people were reportedly injured in the coastal town of Cambrils when a group, said to be wearing "explosive belts", launched a van attack similar to that which left 13 people dead and over 100 injured in Barcelona.
Catalan emergency services said six civilians and a police officer had been injured in the attack, which police said was linked to Thursday's Barcelona van attack.
Police urged locals to take cover as they swooped on an area close to Cambrils' beach-front promenade in the early hours of Friday morning.
Bystanders could be seen running for cover and several gunshots were heard in footage posted on social media, with a later clip showing several dead bodies lying on the floor.
Earlier, police released a photo of a terror suspect, after a white van ploughed through a crowd in Barcelona's city centre killing at least 13 and leaving at least 100 people injured.
One of the suspected attackers involved in mowing down people in La Rambla, Barcelona on Thursday has been killed in a shootout with police on the outskirts of the city, La Vanguardia newspaper reported.
Two men were arrested after the van attack in Barcelona and police say they were connected to the incident but neither was the driver of the vehicle.
Police confirmed that another man who ran over two officers at a checkpoint in Barcelona was shot dead, but added that it did not appear that the incident was linked to the van attack.
The driver of the van which mowed people down on the busy Las Ramblas avenue left the vehicle on foot and did not appear to be armed, a Catalan police official told a news conference.
They said that one of the two men arrested was Moroccan and the other was from the Spanish enclave of Melilla in North Africa. They were arrested in two different towns in the region of Catalonia, Ripoll and Alcanar.
One of the arrested men was named as Driss Oukabir. He is suspected of renting the van, but later denied involvement and reportedly said his documents had been stolen.
Islamic State have now claimed responsibility for the attack, according to the group's Amaq news agency.
Spanish newspaper El Pais reported that an explosion on Wednesday night in Alcanar, 120 miles south of Barcelona, is now believed to be connected to Thursday's attack.
At the time police thought it was a gas explosion. The house was destroyed, with six people injured and one dead.
Inside the house, which police believe was occupied for a few months, they found around 20 canisters of butane and propane gas.
A woman was found dead inside and a man, discovered among the rubble, was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
The explosion could be heard for several miles.
Moments after the van crash at Las Ramblas, it was reported that two armed men entered a restaurant in Barcelona.
However Spanish police have confirmed, in reaction to these reports, that there was nobody held up in a bar.
Catalan emergency services said people should not go to the area around Placa Catalunya.
It's believed the driver of the vehicle had fled on foot after mowing down dozens of people.
He was arrested several hours later following a massive police hunt in the centre of the city.
Catalan police say they cannot confirm a motive for the attack.
A second van believed to be connected to the attack has been found by police in the small town of Vic in Catalonia, local authorities said on Twitter. Vic is approximately 70km from the city of Barcelona.
Police had cordoned off the area and were inspecting the vehicle, the city council said.
Police are also asking people to let their families know if they are 'okay' if they are in the designated 'red zone'. They have asked people to use social media networks so as not to block the phone lines.
A witness told Independent.ie; "A load of people screaming just ran into the museum I'm just after walking into and they've shut the whole place down."
Another witness described how people "have taken shelter in shops".
The man, writing on Twitter, said people are being treated by medical personnel at the scene.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said he was in contact with authorities after a van mowed down dozens of people in Barcelona's city centre.
Rajoy said on Twitter the priority was to attend to the injured.
An Irish man living in Barcelona said he is shaken following the attack.
Aidan McGovern originally from Carrigaline, Co Cork owns a gallery in the Spanish city centre. He told Independent.ie that the attack has left him shaken.
"I'm pretty shook up and taken aback. I'm close to the area. It's very scary.
"A buddy of mine saw the van plough through the crowd and get out of the van running. It's pretty grim here right now."
Student Marc Esparcia (20) told the BBC: "There was a loud noise and everybody ran for cover. There were a lot people, lots of families [at the site], this is one of the most visited sites in Barcelona.
"I think several people were hit. It was horrible, there was panic. Terrible."
Witness Ethan Spibey told Britain's Sky News: "All of sudden it was real chaos. People just started running screaming, there were loud bangs. People just started running into shops, there was a kind of mini-stampede where we were, down one of the alleyways."
He said he had taken refuge with dozens of other people in a nearby church.
"They've locked the doors because I'm not sure whether the person who may have done it has actually been caught, so they've locked the doors and told people just to wait in here."
He said he was now taking cover inside a Starbucks coffee shop.
The Department of Foreign Affairs said they are monitoring developments closely through the Irish Embassy in Madrid and Ireland’s Honorary Consul in Barcelona.
Irish citizens in the vicinity of the incident are advised to follow the advice of local authorities. Anyone with concerns for the safety of loved ones in Barcelona can contact the Consular Assistance team in the Department on 01-4082000 or the Irish Embassy in Madrid on +34 914364093.
Minister Simon Coveney said he was "appalled" by the events.
"I am appalled by the incident in Barcelona this afternoon. On behalf of the Irish government, I wish to convey our condolences and solidarity with the people of Spain at this time."
In the US, White House's chief of staff said it was keeping President Trump closely informed about the situation.
Meanwhile, people in Barcelona have begun to open up their homes to those affected by the incident.
One man wrote on Twitter; "Anyone in #Barcelona stuck in the centre you welcome at my apartment behind Plaça Jaume. Cups of tea offered! #lasramblas #larambla"
People in Barcelona are also making use of Facebook to mark themselves as safe as well as offer aid to those in need.
One woman marked herself as available for “volunteer work”.
She added a Facebook status, reading; "I speak English and I can help if you are around Born area."
Dozens of other posts can be seen offering help, including people offering places to stay, food and water, baby supplies and blood donations.
Another woman marked herself as "offering help" at a location metres away from the terrorist attack.
Her status reads; "Hi everyone in Barcelona. If you don't speak Spanish and need any help, I’m here for you! Be careful, be safe, and stay home!!"
Additional reporting by Reuters