FIVE Brighton and Hove Albion footballers and one from AFC Bournemouth have been arrested by police investigating a sex attack.
The six men have been held on suspicion of the alleged sexual assault of a woman in Brighton last July, Sussex Police said. Five of the men -- aged 18, 19, two aged 20 and one aged 24 -- are from Brighton. A sixth man, aged 20, is from Dorset.
The alleged attack was reported to police at the time but the suspects were identified only last Friday.
Four of the men were held in Brighton at 4.20am yesterday. A fifth was arrested in the town at about 7.20am and the sixth in Dorset at 10.30am.
The players, whose identities have not been revealed, were released on bail last night.
A Sussex Police spokesman said: "All were arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and taken to different custody centres in Sussex, where they were questioned in relation to an alleged sexual assault on a woman in July last year."
A short statement from Brighton and Hove Albion said the club "can confirm that five men associated with the club are assisting police into the investigation".
"The club will make no further comment at this stage."