Wednesday 13 December 2017

Sister of victim in laughing gas alert

The sister of a public school boy has warned of the dangers of the recreational use of laughing gas after he fell into a coma and died using it.

Joseph Benett (17) known as Joe, suffered a heart attack and brain damage after inhaling nitrous oxide from a canister with his friends.

The teenager lay in a coma in hospital for four weeks while his father David, a photographer, his mother Roseann, and his sister Camille shared a round-the-clock vigil at his bedside.

The student at the £5,500-a-term University College School, in Hampstead, north London, never regained consciousness because the damage was so severe.

Now Camille (27) has warned others to think about those they could hurt by experimenting with nitrous oxide.

Nitrous oxide is taken in hospital as a painkiller, especially during childbirth.

Miss Benett said: "He just never woke up. He had such terrible brain damage and his fits were getting worse.

"When he stopped breathing, my dad and I were holding his hand.

"As a big sister I felt a responsibility to look after my little brother. I think having experienced how much this hurts, people should think about whether they are putting themselves in danger.(©Daily Telegraph, London )

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News