Seven Crewe players bailed in sex attack probe
SEVEN Crewe Alexandra football players arrested in connection with an alleged sexual assault have been released on bail, police said.
The League One club had been on a pre-season training camp in Cornwall when the alleged incident took place in Redruth.
Five men, aged 35, 19, 18 and two aged 24, were arrested in Cornwall following a complaint of a sexual assault against a woman in her early 20s.
Officers were first called to an address in Redruth at 4.30am on Saturday.
Inspector Rob Curtis, of Devon and Cornwall Police, confirmed that the men had been released.
He said: "Five males who we arrested have been bailed until early October."
Two other men, aged 21 and 20, were arrested in Cheshire over the weekend.
A spokeswoman for Cheshire Police confirmed that the two players had also been released on police bail.
"The two men arrested have been bailed," she said.
Speaking after the alleged incident, a spokesman for Crewe Alexandra confirmed that players had been arrested.
He said: "I can confirm some players have been arrested.
"From what we know there are three arrested and two helping with inquiries over an alleged sexual assault.
"The details are a bit sketchy so we can't really comment at the moment."