Monday 23 October 2017

Rooney's father denies being involved in football betting scam

Wayne Rooney Snr pictured last year. Photo: PA
Wayne Rooney Snr pictured last year. Photo: PA

Paul Keaveny

Wayne Rooney's father last night "vigorously" denied allegations of being involved in a football betting scam.

Wayne Rooney Snr (48) was bailed pending further inquiries last night after being held earlier yesterday when police swooped at his home in West Derby, Liverpool.

Eight other people, including the Manchester United star's uncle, Richie (54) and Liverpool-born Motherwell midfielder Steve Jennings (26), were also arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud. Merseyside Police said all had been bailed until January.

Last night Anthony Barnfather, who is representing the Manchester Utd striker's father, said: "Mr Rooney vigorously denies all of these allegations. We are co-operating fully with the investigation."

The investigation relates to a match between Motherwell and Hearts on December 14 last year. During the game Mr Jennings was shown a red card in the 83rd minute of his side's 2-1 defeat.

The midfielder had been booked earlier in the match for fouling Kevin Kyle as Hearts launched a dangerous break.

The Gambling Commission, an independent body which was formed under the 2005 Gambling Act, began the probe shortly afterwards when some members of the Association of British Bookmakers publicly raised concerns about betting patterns on the game.

In a statement, Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan said the arrests followed "extensive inquiries" into alleged betting irregularities at the match.

Mr Regan said: "It is important to stress that the evidence gathered throughout this thorough period of investigation has involved only one Scottish match."

Richie Rooney, who was detained at his home in Norris Green, Liverpool, was also bailed pending further inquiries, as were a 22-year-old from Kirkdale, and a 26-year-old from Croxteth.

Mr Jennings, who was arrested at his Glasgow home and brought to a Merseyside police station for questioning, remains in custody along with a 29-year-old from Bootle, a 31-year-old from Litherland, a 68-year-old from Fazakerley, and a 36-year-old from Kirkby.

Irish Independent

Editors Choice

Also in World News