Saturday 23 November 2019

Prince back in hospital with new infection

Michael Holden in London

PRINCE Philip, the 91-year-old husband of Britain's Queen Elizabeth, was taken to hospital in Scotland yesterday after a recurrence of a bladder infection, Buckingham Palace said, the third time he has been hospitalised in less than a year.

Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, fell ill while the couple were staying at Balmoral, their Scottish royal residence, and he was driven the 60 km from there to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, suggesting the problem was not too serious.

Treatment

"The Duke of Edinburgh has had a recurrence of the bladder infection that he had earlier in the summer and has been admitted to hospital for investigation and treatment," a palace spokesman said.

"The prince is likely to remain there for the next few days."

Despite recent illnesses, the sprightly duke has continued to make public appearances, notably at events held to mark the queen's 60th year on the throne this year. During the London Olympics, he accompanied the queen to the opening ceremony and also joined other members of the royal family to watch their granddaughter, Zara Phillips, compete in an equestrian event at the Games.

He was hospitalised two months ago when he first received treatment for a bladder infection, overshadowing four days of public celebrations for his 86-year-old wife's Diamond Jubilee.

In December last year, he had an operation to clear a blocked artery in his heart after suffering chest pains, and spent four days in hospital over Christmas.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News