Prince Andrew denies 'rift' with Prince Charles over daughters' status in royal family
Prince Andrew has said there is "no truth" in rumours of a rift between him and the Prince Charles over his daughters' participation as members of the royal family.
Making a rare public statement, Andrew posted a link on Twitter in response to recent rumours regarding Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice.
He said: "It is a complete fabrication to suggest I have asked for any future husbands of the Princesses to have titles.
"There is no truth to the story that there could be a split between The Prince of Wales and I over my daughters' participation as members of the Royal Family and any continued speculation is pointless."
Andrew's response came after reports claimed he would seek to persuade the Queen or Charles to make any future son-in-laws earls.
His statement added that as a father, he wishes for his daughters to be "modern working young women" who happen to be members of the Royal Family.
He continued: "When they do support the Royal Family in its work, this is very much appreciated by my family and most importantly by those organisations and to those for whom their participation makes such a difference to their lives.
"Whilst I appreciate, as granddaughters of the Queen, there is considerable interest in my daughters, I cannot continue to stand by and have the media speculate on their futures based on my purported interventions, which are completely made up and an invention."
Earlier on Friday, the Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson spoke of her pride in her daughters and made the plea "stop bullying the York family".
She was speaking as her daughters became patrons of the Teenage Cancer Trust, calling their "hard work" an example of "good parenting".
Sarah and the two princesses visited a specialist teen cancer unit in London to mark the occasion, meeting young people with the disease.
Sarah said: "Both the Duke and myself, we could not be more proud of this moment because these are two girls that work so hard in their own careers, have taken time off today to spread the word of teen cancer, which is so important, and then go back to work.
"It's really an extraordinary example that, I think, good parenting and listening to your children and getting them to take responsibility for their own actions."
The Teenage Cancer Trust provides specialist care and support for young people with cancer, giving them the chance to connect with others of the same age.
Beatrice spent time talking to Harry Sadler at the University College Hospital unit, who has been diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer.
The 17-year-old said the princess was polite and "vibrant", and he added: "She listened to me."
Beatrice was in turn inspired by the Colchester student, saying: "His strength taught me so much. I learnt a huge lesson today from Harry."
Sarah said she is proud of her family's charity work, adding: "Let's focus more on this and less on tittle-tattle gossip.
"Stop bullying the York family, please."