Police to begin questioning Michael Adebowale on suspicion of murdering soldier Lee Rigby
POLICE are to begin questioning Michael Adebowale, one of the two men suspected of murdering Drummer Lee Rigby in Woolwich, exactly a week after the soldier's death.
The 22-year-old was shot by police after apparently charging towards armed officers in the aftermath of Drummer Rigby's death, but has been moved into police custody after being discharged from hospital.
A second murder suspect, 28-year-old Michael Adebolajo, who was also shot by police, remains in hospital under police guard.
Relatives of Adebolajo last night released a statement sending their “heartfelt condolence” to Drummer Rigby's family, adding there is no place for violence in the name of religion and that they “fully expect” Drummer Rigby's killers will be brought to justice
The Adebolajo family said: “Nothing we can say can undo the events of last week. However, as a family, we wish to share with others our horror at the senseless killing of Lee Rigby... we send our heartfelt condolence to Lee Rigby's family and loved ones.”
They added: “We wish to state openly that we believe that there is no place for violence in the name of religion or politics. We believe that all right thinking members of society share this view wherever they were born and whatever their religion and political beliefs.”
The statement went on: “We wholeheartedly condemn all those who engage in acts of terror and fully reject any suggestion by them that religion or politics can justify this kind of violence… We unreservedly put our faith in the rule of law and with others fully expect that all the perpetrators will be brought to justice under the law of the land.”
Drummer Rigby was hacked to death close to Woolwich barracks in south London last Wednesday and Adebowale and Adebolajo were subsequently both arrested on suspicion of the murder.
On his discharge from hospital yesterday, Adebowale was further arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of a police officer.
Meanwhile prison chiefs have linked an attack on a prison guard to the soldier's murder and warned staff of an increased risk of threats, according to reports.
A male warder was left with a broken cheekbone after being held hostage by three male prisoners, two aged 25 and one aged 26, at HMP Full Sutton in Yorkshire on Sunday.
An email circulated to staff in top-security jails and young offender institutions and seen by The Times said: “Three Muslim prisoners took an officer hostage in an office.
“Their demands indicated they supported radical Islamist extremism.
”All staff are reminded to remain vigilant to the increased risk of potential attacks on prison officers inspired by these and last Wednesday's events.“
Counter-terrorism officers have been brought in to investigate the attack at the maximum security jail, during which a female warder was also injured.
So far, 10 people have been held by detectives investigating the young soldier's death, including Adebowale and Adebolajo.
These include a 50-year-old man, arrested on Monday, who was released on bail yesterday. A 22-year-old man arrested in Highbury, north London, on Sunday and three men detained on Saturday over the killing have all been released on bail, as has a fifth man, aged 29.
Two women, aged 29 and 31, were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder but later released without charge.
Independent News Service