Police working for the British royal household sold confidential details about the queen and her aides to the 'News of the World', it was claimed yesterday.
The allegations were said to have been detailed in emails handed over to Scotland Yard by News International last month.
The emails allegedly included requests by Clive Goodman, who was the newspaper's royal correspondent, asking for cash to pay officers in the royal protection unit.
About £1,000 (€1,135) was said to have been sought to purchase 'The Green Book', a directory of contact details, including landline and mobile phone numbers for the royal family and other household staff.
The directory's cover was stamped "secure" and when members of the royal household received a copy they had to sign for it
Other information, allegedly purchased from corrupt officers, included details about the movements and activities of senior members of the royal family, including the queen and Prince Philip.
Also among those said to have been targeted were the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.
Goodman was jailed for phone hacking. He and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire pleaded guilty to intercepting the voicemails of members of the royal household in 2007.
The contentious emails were passed to Scotland Yard by News International on June 20 this year, although it was believed they were found in a 2007 internal review.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said he could not comment due to the police investigation.
Meanwhile, TDs have been warned to protect themselves from phone hackers. And they have been told that if they do not take action, they could find their phones containing a "malicious greeting", announcing their retirement from politics.
In an email to all TDs and senators, the information technology unit advised them to reset passwords on their mobiles, which are usually '0000'.