Friday 14 December 2018

Police clear actor in murder investigation

Nick Pisa in Rome

AN Irish actor wrongly arrested over the murder of an Italian pensioner is unlikely to sue the authorities after being cleared of the crime.



Paudge Behan (43), a son of Brendan Behan's widow, was held for 24 hours and interrogated by police in July, following the murder of Silvana Abate (72) in Arcidosso, Tuscany. He was arrested after going to hospital with an open wound and later described the questioning as "psychological torture".

He has never received an apology but was finally given back his house in Arcidosso over the weekend, after the real murderer confessed to the brutal stabbing. The actor said yesterday that he is unlikely to bring legal proceedings.

"I will have to speak to my lawyer about what to do next and see if he thinks it is worth it," he said.

"Anyway I don't hold any animosity. It's done now, there is no point in bearing any grudges. I am just glad somebody has finally been caught for this brutal killing.

"Although at the same time I am sorry for the man who confessed, from what I hear he has a young wife and they have a child and another on the way."

Chef Aldo Staiani (27), was tracked down after forensic checks matched DNA which had been taken from under Mrs Abate's fingernails.

Mr Behan, a son of Beatrice Salkeld and former IRA chief of staff Cathal Goulding, criticised the police's handling of the investigation.

"The Italian police have been very slow in giving me back my house. Four months I have had to wait and I get it back the same day the man confesses.

"When they gave me the place back that was the first time they had actually apologised for anything -- in fact I was late to sign the paperwork and I met them on the road.

"One officer asked me 'where have you been, we have been waiting two hours', so I said 'well you kept me f***ing waiting 24 hours before releasing me'."

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News