| 5.5°C Dublin

Pitiless Breivik describes island massacre in chilling detail to court


Utoya massacre survivor Siri Seim Soenstelie (left) and her sister Thea during the fifth day of the trial of Anders Behring Breivik (right).

Utoya massacre survivor Siri Seim Soenstelie (left) and her sister Thea during the fifth day of the trial of Anders Behring Breivik (right).

Utoya massacre survivor Siri Seim Soenstelie (left) and her sister Thea during the fifth day of the trial of Anders Behring Breivik (right).

Anders Behring Breivik described in pitiless detail yesterday how he massacred 67 Norwegians on Utoya island, shooting some who begged for their lives and others who feigned death.

During 90 minutes of agonising testimony, friends and relatives of the victims sobbed, as the far-Right killer admitted that he methodically shot people as they climbed down a cliff in their desperation to escape.

Of Breivik's 69 victims on the island -- two drowned after running into the sea -- 33 were under the age of 18. The youngest was a girl of 14.

All were attending a Norwegian Labour Party summer camp on July 22 last year.

Breivik shouted "You are going to die today, Marxists" as he carried out the massacre with a semi-automatic rifle and a handgun.

He claimed he was "a very likeable person under normal conditions", but after 2006 he purposefully trained himself to shut off his emotions to train for the attacks.

When it came to shooting dead the first victim, Breivik said voices were telling him not to do it: "My whole body tried to revolt when I took the weapon in my hand. There were 100 voices in my head saying, 'Don't do it, don't do it'."

On the fifth day of his trial in Oslo, the killer told the court that he managed to bluff his way on to the island by posing as a police officer, arriving just over an hour after detonating a car bomb in the capital. A security officer and a camp organiser were the first people he killed.

"I dreaded what was coming: I was thinking 'I don't want to do this'," he claimed. "Then I thought, 'This is now or never'."

He shot the two people -- a man and a woman -- in the head. Then he approached a cafe filled with visitors.

"There was complete chaos and people running in all directions. I thought, 'I'm going to enter that building and execute as many people as possible'," Breivik recalled.

He was baffled when some teenagers appeared "paralysed" by terror and unable to run.


"They hear that I've run out of ammunition and they just stand there." Breivik killed them with shots to the head.

"Many people screamed and just begged for their lives," he went on. "Then I shot two people in the head. When I make a follow-up shot, his (victim's) cranium bursts and there are brains flowing out. I remember that very well," Breivik said in an unemotional tone.

One man "tried to dodge" by "zigzagging so I cannot shoot him in the head", said Breivik. "So it ends up that I shoot him in the body several times."

Two girls, hiding in a room that contained a piano, desperately feigned death. "One person put her head on the piano and I was sure she was pretending. I saw another person pretending she was dead," said Breivik.

"And then I changed the magazine and shot both of them."

He then opened fire in a campsite, forcing some teenagers to seek refuge inside a schoolhouse. Breivik opened cans of diesel to set the building on fire, but could find no way to light it.

So he went to the island's western edge and posed as a policeman, ordering some teenagers to follow him to a supposed evacuation boat. "When they came I lifted the Glock (handgun) and I shot the first person -- I believe it was a girl -- in the head." He then "fired follow-up shots into all because I could see there were at least five or six people there playing dead".

Nearby, a few terrified teenagers were trying to escape by climbing down a cliff. Breivik attached a telescopic sight to his rifle and carefully shot four at long range. His killing spree ended after 90 minutes, when armed police finally arrived.

The case continues with the final day of Breivik's testimony on Monday. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent