| 10°C Dublin

Passengers displayed 'remarkable heroism' after 7/7 bombings

Tube travellers displayed "remarkable heroism" in risking their lives to help injured and dying victims of the 7/7 attacks, an inquest heard yesterday.

An off-duty doctor ignored orders to leave the Aldgate train so she could continue giving life-saving assistance, while passengers on a second service clambered into the carriage blown up at Edgware Road to aid the wounded.

Dramatic video showing the wreckage of the three Tube trains and the bus targeted by suicide bombers in London on July 7, 2005, was played to the hearing.

The never-before-seen footage, filmed by police after the dead and injured were taken away, shows the horrific scenes that met survivors and rescuers.

Hugo Keith QC, counsel to the inquests, said the emergency services were confronted by a "horrifying scene of mangled flesh, torn bodies, debris and metal".

Maimed bodies with severed limbs lay scattered throughout the carriages as paramedics attempted to distinguish between the dead and the dying in the darkness.

On the Aldgate train the set of double doors closest to where Shehzad Tanweer (22) detonated his bomb were completely ripped off.

The ceiling of the carriage was charred and partially collapsed, with personal possessions including bags and drinks bottles abandoned among large pools of blood.

Among the heroes of the Aldgate bombing was Gerardine Quaghebeur, a consultant neurologist who was sitting in the same carriage as Tanweer.

After the blast London Underground staff told her to join the other passengers escaping down the track, but she stayed to help the injured and dying, the inquests heard.

Off-duty police officer Elizabeth Kenworthy, who was also on the Aldgate train, applied tourniquets to Andrew Brown and Martine Wright, who both lost their legs in the blast, as well as holding their hands and comforting them.

Another video documented how the homemade rucksack bomb of plot mastermind Mohammed Sidique Khan (30) obliterated the second carriage of a Circle Line train at Edgware Road.


Passengers on a train passing in the opposite direction climbed into the wreckage to help "without regard for their personal safety", the hearing was told.

Mr Keith said: "The terrible tragedy at Edgware Road led, as with the other scenes, to acts of remarkable heroism and human fortitude."

Among those who helped was Steve Hucklesby, a passenger on the other train. Finding a woman lying on the floor with her eyes open, he gave her CPR but after several attempts, realised it was impossible to resuscitate her.

The second day of the inquests into the deaths of the 52 victims of the 7/7 bombings heard harrowing accounts of their final moments.

The force of the blast in the King's Cross attack carried out by Jermaine Lindsay (19) was so great that six of the 26 people killed were blown onto the tracks.

Irish Independent