Thursday 23 November 2017

Paris store caught cooking ‘caterpillar stew’ shut by health inspectors

Brian O'Reilly

Brian O'Reilly

A RESTAURANT outside Paris has been shut by authorities after a health inspector discovered a pot of caterpillars boiling on a stove.

The establishment,  in Aubervilliers just outside Paris, underwent a routine inspection by health and safety authorities last week.

It was then that the inspector discovered the large pot of the bugs boiling on the stove.

“A huge amount of caterpillars were on the boil when we arrived”, the inspector told Le Parisien.

Authorities also ordered the store to dispose of over 300kg of meat, as the owner was unable to provide proof of origin.

It is not known why the caterpillars were being boiled, however the bugs are considered a delicacy in certain parts of Africa.

The store has remained shut under orders from authorities on hygiene grounds.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News