Friday 22 November 2019

One-eyed man admits murder of two policewomen

One-eyed Dale Cregan dramatically altered his plea to admit the murder of two police officers in England.

The 29-year-old, who now faces life in jail, admitted gunning down police officers Nicola Hughes and Fiona Bone on September 18 last year.

The court was shown CCTV of the moment Cregan handed himself in to police at Hyde Police station, just minutes after murdering the two officers.

He is still on trial for the murders of father and son, David and Mark Short, which he denies.

Cregan lured the officers with a bogus police call before using a Glock handgun and a military fragmentation grenade to kill the unarmed and unsuspecting police officers in Hattersley, Greater Manchester.

Cregan had initially pleaded not guilty to murdering Fiona Bone (32) and Nicola Hughes (23) at the start of his trial last week at Preston Crown Court.

The dramatic change of plea came on the fourth day of the trial.

The court heard that he told police: "I'll be waiting", as he lured the unarmed and unsuspecting officers with a bogus 999 call to Abbey Gardens in Hattersley.

When the officers arrived, Cregan attacked, firing 32 times in a matter of seconds, emptying his handgun's magazine, before leaving his "calling card" by throwing a military fragmentation grenade as his victims lay bleeding on the floor.

After the attack "calm and casual" Cregan, who had groomed himself with new clothes and a haircut on his last night of freedom, handed himself in, saying: "I'm wanted by the police and I've just done two coppers."

The judge said there were remaining charges against Cregan, who is on trial with nine others.

The violence first started after a "simmering feud" between two rival Manchester families, it is alleged.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News