Monday 19 February 2018

Nutella jar fire: Sun rays shining on container holding loom bands sparks blaze and kills dog

A family has spoken of their heartbreak after sun rays shining through a Nutella jar containing loom bands sparked a severe fire, gutting their home and killing their pet dog.

Declan Murphy, his wife Lindsay and their two children were all out celebrating their anniversary at the time of the blaze.

The jar was on the windowsill of his daughter’s south London bedroom when the blaze broke out. Firefighters believe low winter sunlight was refracted by the container. It is thought the rays were magnified and beamed onto blinds, causing them to catch fire and damage the room and roof.

The family’s nine year-old Jack Russell Chili was trapped inside the house at the time of the fire. He died from smoke inhalation.

Mr Murphy told Get West London they were devastated about losing their dog, adding: "We've been told it will be up to a year before the house is ready for us to move back into."

The electrical supervisor, 41, added: "I want to ensure other people are aware of the dangers and know to keep glass items away from windows and out of direct sunlight so they don't have to go through anything like this."

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News