Monday 20 November 2017

Mystery surrounds Mikaeel's final weeks as mum charged over death

Tributes are left on Ferry Gait Crescent in Edinburgh
Tributes are left on Ferry Gait Crescent in Edinburgh
Floral tributes near the row of houses where Mikaeel's body was finally found. Photo: Danny Lawson/PA Wire
Rosie Kular

Sam Marsden London

THE mother of three-year-old Mikaeel Kular will appear in court today charged over his death amid questions about how long the boy lay dead before being found.

Rosie Kular (33) was arrested after police discovered her son's body in woodland behind her former home, 30 miles from where initial reports suggested he had gone missing, following a two-day search.

Detectives questioned her for nearly 24 hours before charging her in connection with Mikaeel's death on Saturday night.

She is expected to make a brief first appearance in a private hearing at Edinburgh Sheriff Court this morning.

Ms Kular, a beauty therapist who also has four other children, told police that she last saw her young son when she put him to bed in her flat in Edinburgh at 9pm on Wednesday last week.

He was apparently unwell and had slept on his own that night in the bedroom he normally shared with his twin sister, Ashika.

His mother said the little boy was missing when she went to get him up at 7.15am the next morning, and officers stressed that he would have been capable of putting his shoes and coat on and leaving the building by himself.


However, mystery surrounds the little boy's final weeks in the light of the discovery of his body just yards from a bungalow in Kirkcaldy where Ms Kular used to live.

Mikaeel had not been seen at his nursery school in Edinburgh since it broke up for the Christmas holidays on December 19.

He failed to return when term resumed on January 7, apparently because he was suffering from a chest infection.

Mikaeel's aunt, Pandeep Kular (37), said she was "devastated" at the news that her nephew had been found dead.

She said she had not spoken to her sister: "I'm not aware of anything. I'm just with my family in the house.

"That's all I can say. We've just lost him."

Shocked Edinburgh residents have left a sea of flowers and soft toys in memory of Mikaeel outside his home in Ferry Gait Crescent, Edinburgh.

Steven Raeburn (27) and his partner Sarah Clarke (24) accompanied their daughter Jessica (5) so she could put down a card she had made along with a bouquet and one of her teddy bears.

Mr Raeburn said: "We were keeping an eye on the news over the past few days and when we heard what had happened it just made us feel sick.

"I feel so sorry for the wee boy. I'm also angry because there haven't been any real answers yet.

"This is the first time we've been down here because we only just told our daughter what had happened -- she's still so young.

"She got scared when she first found out. She knew the boy was missing, but the circumstances are too difficult for a young child to comprehend."

Assistant Chief Constable Malcolm Graham, of Police Scotland, said: "Following formal identification, I can now confirm that a 33-year-old woman has been arrested and charged in connection with Mikaeel's death.

"The woman is expected to appear at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Monday.

"I would like to again recognise the overwhelming public assistance that Police Scotland have received during the course of this very complex investigation. This includes his family and friends, with whom our thoughts remain."

Police refused to comment on any further details about what happened to Mikaeel.

Meanwhile, police in Hampshire and Derbyshire in England arrested two men, aged 19 and 26, yesterday on suspicion of posting racist messages on Twitter relating to Mikaeel's disappearance.

They were both questioned and released on police bail later in the day.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News