Monday 11 December 2017

'Mother told dad to finish it as they stuffed bag in my sister's mouth'

Nigel Bunyan in Chester

The younger sister of a Muslim teenager allegedly killed by her parents wept yesterday as she recalled the moment their mother pushed the girl on to a sofa and ordered her husband: "Just finish it now."

The court heard that, with all four of her children in the room, Farzana Ahmed (49) then grabbed a plastic bag and began pushing it into her daughter's mouth.

Shafilea (17), tried to fend her off but was overpowered by her mother and father, Iftikhar (52).

When the teenager finally lay dead, her father pulled her body on to the floor and landed a single blow to her chest.

Later, as the couple made plans to dispose of the body, the couple's son, Junyade, then 13, allegedly told his sisters that Shafilea had "deserved" to be murdered.


Ms Ahmed, who came to Britain from the same village in Pakistan as her husband, then spent the night of the alleged murder in her dead daughter's bed.

Alesha Ahmed, who was 15 at the time, gave the jury at Chester Crown Court a graphic account of her sister's murder at the hands of her parents.

She said her mother had been angered to see Shafilea getting into her car in a T-shirt and white trousers. Their argument continued as the family congregated in the kitchen of their semi-detached home in Great Sankey, Warrington, Cheshire.

Junyade was instructed to search his eldest sister's purse and the bag in which she kept her school files. He found a sum of money, which he put to one side.

Ms Ahmed used her hands to push Shafilea on to a sofa. Once she was there she allegedly turned to her husband and said in Urdu: "Just finish it now."

Alesha told the court: "Both started hitting her. My mum grabbed a bag. It was just a plastic bag. She put it in her mouth. Then she put her hands over. Both of them did. He was trying to keep her down. He had her held down with his leg in her midriff."

Andrew Edis, prosecuting, asked Alesha whether she could see any of her sister's face.

"Her eyes," she said.

"They were open really wide. She wet herself because she was struggling so much."

A few moments later, the girl was dead. The younger children ran from the room "because they were so upset".

She watched her father pull Shafilea off the sofa and punch her in the chest.

Upstairs, Alesha was reunited with her brother and two sisters, aged 12 and seven.

"He said to me and my sisters that she deserved it."

The teenager and her youngest sister briefly pulled back the bedroom curtains to see their father carrying something to one of the couple's cars.

He was carrying an object wrapped in something dark.

"I assumed it was bin bags because it was black, with a bit of tape. From the way he was carrying it, it just looked like it was my sister Shafilea."

Ms Ahmed slept that night in the bed nearest the window. "We used to swap quite a lot, but it was usually my eldest sister who slept there," said Alesha.

Iftikhar and Farzana Ahmed deny murder. The trial continues. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News