Mark Duggan death: bullet lodged in officer's radio 'was police issue'
The bullet fired at a police officer during the operation which ended in the death of Mark Duggan is understood to be a police-issue round, initial forensic tests have suggested.
Mr Duggan’s death during a police operation on Thursday prompted riots on the streets of Tottenham on Saturday.
It was initially suggested that he died following an exchange of fire with police officers. A bullet was found lodged in a police-officer’s radio.
However initial forensic tests suggest that the bullet is a hollow-point round as used by the Metropolitan Police.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission says they are awaiting further tests before they will know whether or not the bullet was a police-issue round.
But the results of the initial tests cast doubt on whether or not Mr Duggan actually fired at officers. It could also fuel further disturbances if it emerges that Mr Duggan did not fire at police.
A non-police handgun was found at the scene of Mr Duggan’s death.
A spokesman for the IPCC said: “We await further forensic analysis to enable us to have a fuller and more comprehensive account of what shots were discharged, the sequence of events and what exactly happened.
“In the meantime we would request people are patient while we seek to find answers to the questions raised by this incident.”
Mr Duggan's death led to protests on Saturday night outside Tottenham Police Station, which escalated into riots following a rumoured attack on a teenage girl by police.
The 16 year-old was said by some witnesses to have thrown a stone at a line of officers during the initial protest at Tottenham police station.
She was then allegedly knocked to the ground, and as the crowds retaliated it led to two squad cars being set alight at the start of a night of violent disturbances and looting.
However by Sunday night the identity of the teenage girl had not been established and the Metropolitan Police were unable to confirm the truth of the alleged incident.
Asked about the rumours at a press conference, Commander Adrian Hanstock replied: “We are still looking into that. There are conflicting responses to what that incident was. We want to concentrate on the scene, getting the area back to normal.”
Regardless of whether or not a girl was attacked by police, a rumour about it certainly spread among the crowd and then reached the wider world as protesters used mobile phones to tell friends and post messages on Twitter.
It was further reinforced when a caller told the BBC: “What actually ignited it is a young female had approached the police standing line and she was set upon by police with their batons.
“The police line actually charged towards her and hit her with their batons. Subsequently it turned out she was only 16 and it absolutely made everyone go up in uproar.
“She just approached the police and said the community demanded answers and justice must prevail and questions needed answering.
"Hundreds of people who had congregated since the evening have then charged the police and shops were getting burned down.”
Other people claimed she had thrown a stone at the police and then been hit with police officers’ riot shields.
Last night mobile-phone footage appeared on YouTube, the video-sharing website, that appeared to show riot police clashing with a protester while onlookers shout: "It's a girl."
The caption for the clip states: "Tottenham riots 2011, young girl attacked and left with facial and head injuries, bleeding."
Karen Lee, 35, who works for a housing association and lives on the Millicent Fawcett estate in Tottenham, said: “People came out for a peaceful protest – it was legitimate at first. Then last night this rumour went around about this girl, a 16-year-old innocent girl who had been hit by police.
“It is only hearsay at the moment and unless there’s CCTV or she comes forward, we may never know whether it actually happened. It upset everyone and they lost the plot and started to do whatever they wanted.”