Man who took shots of topless Kate Middleton from UK and was paid 'basic wage'
The photographer who took the topless pictures of Kate Middleton is English, it was claimed yesterday.
Leading French paparazzo Pascal Rostain said the colleague, who used a telescopic lens to take pictures of the British royal couple while they were on holiday, is an Englishman who lives in the south of France.
And he revealed that the photographer who staked out the French chateau was working on the orders of 'Closer' -- the French magazine that published 13 intimate images of Prince William and his wife last week.
Mr Rostain is one of France's most famous long lens photographers and is a close friend of former French first lady Carla Bruni.
In an interview with the 'France Metro' newspaper, he said: "The irony of this whole thing is that the photographer who took these pictures is an Englishman living in the south of France.
"These photos were taken on the orders of 'Closer', who asked him to sit around for several days to take them.
"For his efforts he did not earn a lot. He could have sold them for €10,000, but in fact he was just paid his wages for going to take them.
"And he didn't put them on the open market either, where he could have earned a lot more."
Another French photographer outside the Chateau d'Autet where the pictures were taken was French woman Valerie Suau, who is nicknamed The Sewer.
She has admitted taking pictures of Kate covered up in her bikini top, but said she did not know who took the topless photos.
Meanwhile, the royal couple were yesterday considering their options after a Danish magazine published more topless pictures of Kate.
'Se & Hoer' (See & Hear), a weekly celebrity magazine in Denmark, printed the photographs in a 16-page supplement.
The editor in chief, Kim Henningsen, said the magazine wanted to show Denmark's readers "what these photos are all about".
Kate and William are understood to be considering measures to prevent further distribution of the topless photos. A St James's Palace source said: "All options are under consideration at the moment."
The couple on Tuesday succeeded in getting an injunction from a French court, which has stopped France's 'Closer' magazine from printing further intimate images of the duchess or selling them.
Meanwhile, police in France investigating the publication of images in 'Closer' are gathering information on the magazine and its employees.
The move is part of the opening of their criminal probe into whether the pictures were an invasion of privacy.