Thursday 14 December 2017

Man who killed fiancee then butchered her corpse gets life

Shop worker hid decomposing body in 'insect-infested' flat for a year

Hilary Duncanson in Edinburgh

A "CALLOUS" paedophile who murdered his fiancee, butchered her body and dumped her remains in bags was jailed for life yesterday.

Shop worker Alan Cameron (56) hid Heather Stacey's decomposing body at her flat for more than a year, then scattered the parts in public places around the north of Edinburgh.

His "inhuman" crime came to light when a dog walker found the 44-year-old's severed head near a footpath on New Year's Eve 2008.

Cries of "yes" echoed around the High Court in Edinburgh yesterday, where Ms Stacey's relatives looked on as the judge passed a minimum sentence of 25 years.

Lord Matthews said: "She was a mother of four and no one who saw the evidence of her daughter Danielle can be under any illusions as to the effect these appalling crimes have had.

"One can only imagine what she must have gone through when the discovery of her mother's remains was broken to her."

The judge told Cameron he had denied his victim any dignity in death. He said: "For over a year you conducted a campaign of callous deceit, in order to convince others that Heather Stacey was still alive.

"You left her corpse to rot where she lay in an insect-infested flat and attempted to cut her limb from limb.

"Having failed in that enterprise you mutilated her remains by pulling them apart and then scattered them around in bin bags. Even in death you abused her and denied her any dignity."

Cameron, from Edinburgh, was earlier convicted of murdering his fiancee at her Royston Mains Place home between November 29 and December 11 2007.

He was further found guilty of attempting to defeat the ends of justice and of stealing nearly £5,000 (€6,000) from Ms Stacey's post office account.

What the jurors did not know was that he had already been jailed for six-and-a- half years in 1995 for nine sex offences against children.

Ms Stacey was described as a vulnerable woman who had been in violent past relationships but who was beginning to put her problems behind her.

Only Cameron knows exactly how, and why, he killed her.

He embarked on an elaborate scheme to cover his tracks, leading people to think she was still alive. He sent a text message purporting to be from his victim and, months after her death, boasted to colleagues about his relationship with her.

Cameron hid her body in the flat for 13 months. He disposed of her remains when the local council tried to repossess the property

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News