Friday 25 May 2018

Man convicted of raping women who was thrown off bus for being short on her fare

Joseph Michael Moran, 19, of Walker Street in Sneinton, who was found guilty of rape and wounding with intent to cause GBH at Nottingham Crown Court
Joseph Michael Moran, 19, of Walker Street in Sneinton, who was found guilty of rape and wounding with intent to cause GBH at Nottingham Crown Court

A MAN was convicted of raping a young woman who had been thrown off her last bus home because she was 20p short of the fare.

Joseph Moran, 19, was found guilty by a jury at Nottingham Crown Court of rape and wounding with intent to cause GBH, police said.



The court had heard how the woman had been out with friends in the city on December 9 last year for an early Christmas celebration.



It was told that she only had £4.80 to pay the £5 fare to Mansfield. The driver would not waive the 20p nor wait for her to visit an ATM opposite the bus stop.



She began walking along Mansfield Road out of the city where she had arranged to be collected by her mother.



But as she approached the entrance to Forest Recreation Ground she was grabbed by Moran, of Sneinton, and dragged into the park where he subjected her to what the jury heard was an appalling and protracted attack.



She was found by police officers just after 4am, unconscious, and having suffered terrible injuries. She was rushed to hospital and police began an immediate investigation. Moran was arrested within minutes.



Detective Chief Inspector Rob Griffin, who was in charge of the investigation, described Moran as "a singularly depraved and highly dangerous individual who committed a grotesque and extremely violent crime".



He said: "In the weeks and months since that terrible night, this young woman has undergone extensive surgery to repair the physical damage she suffered.



"She has also received support to help her deal with the mental and emotional injuries.



"Moran refused to accept his guilt, and so added to the torment she and her family have had to endure.



"Despite her lasting physical, mental and emotional scars, this young woman has shown the most tremendous courage and dignity, despite the many challenges she has had to face, and has played a vital role in securing his conviction."



He added: "Moran is a dangerous and violent man. A thorough police investigation and a courageous victim have ensured that he has been taken off the streets and no longer poses a risk to other women."



Asked about reports that other passengers failed to give the victim the 20p she needed, the officer said: "It's difficult to speak for those people. We each make our own judgments and the people on that bus made their judgments that night. Knowing what they know now, they may wish they had given 20p."



In a statement, the mother of the victim thanked those involved in the case.



She said: "The last six months have been a very difficult time for my daughter and our family. We would like to thank the police, the prosecuting counsel and the medical staff at the Queen's Medical Centre for the care and support they have shown to us during this time."



Moran will appear at the crown court on July 27 for sentencing.



In the interview, the girl told police: "I said 'if I let you you do what you do, will you not hurt me and let me go?' and he said 'yeah'."



She added: "I was so scared. When he let me go I just said 'thank you for not hurting me'."



Wearing a black suit and a tie, Molt watched the video intently and showed no emotion.



The girl said that she told her attacker that she had HIV, which she did not, in an attempt to stop him raping her. He replied "so have I", she added.



Giving evidence from behind a screen to protect her anonymity, the woman said: "I do not have much memory of the attack itself but I have no reason to doubt what I said at the time.



"I was very, very frightened. I thought I was going to die.



"I haven't dwelt very much on this for a very long time.



"I have no doubt that on that night I was raped. It wasn't consensual."



The trial is expected to continue for four days.

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News