Sunday 18 March 2018

Man admits murdering boy who refused to hand over mobile phone in robbery

Christine Lavelle

A man has admitted murdering a student who refused to hand over his mobile phone and wallet during a robbery in the street.

Daryn Maxwell, 23, pleaded guilty at the High Court in Glasgow today to the murder of 19-year-old Reamonn Gormley in Glasgow on February 1 this year.

He stabbed the Glasgow University student three times, delivering a fatal blow to the neck which severed vital arteries.

The court heard that Mr Gormley had been walking home with his friend David McFall after watching a football match at the nearby Parkville Hotel.

They were approached by two men who came out of a flat which backed on to Glasgow Road, who had decided to "go and rob someone". Maxwell presented a knife to Mr Gormley and his co-accused Barry Smith presented a chisel to Mr McFall.

A "scuffle" occurred between Maxwell and Mr Gormley, who had refused to hand over his items.

Smith, 19, pleaded guilty to culpable homicide, on the grounds that he had planned the robbery with Maxwell and had knowingly taken out a weapon which could cause serious bodily harm. However, he did not stab Mr Gormley.

After being stabbed Mr Gormley went across the road to a house, holding his neck, but there was no answer.

Alex Prentice QC, for the Crown, told the court that Mr McFall could see that Mr Gormley was "bleeding heavily from the neck", and he took him back to the Parkville Hotel, where members of staff came to their assistance.

Mr Gormley was "stumbling" as he ran and holding the side of his neck, the court was told.

Mr Prentice said witnesses in the bar area recalled hearing Mr Gormley saying: "I've been stabbed, I've been stabbed", and who later reported that he said: "Please don't let me die."

Mr Prentice said: "The deceased was put on a chair in the bar while a member of staff applied pressure to his neck. He slipped out of consciousness and slumped in the seat. He was bleeding from the neck and the mouth.

"He was eventually laid down in the back corner of the bar area where he was given CPR."

Police and ambulance staff arrived and Mr Gormley continued to be given CPR until arriving at Hairmyres Hospital, East Kilbride, where he was pronounced dead around 10 minutes later.

A post-mortem examination showed Mr Gormley had died as the result of a haemorrhage from the fatal stab wound in his neck, which was 4.5cm deep.

The court heard that someone had shouted "Dean Hutcheson number one" at some point during the altercation. This led members of the local community to believe another young man in the area was responsible for the murder.

Mr Prentice said the following day Maxwell's mother, Margaret Innes, told him what she had heard. He replied: "It wasn't him", and when she asked how he knew that, he said: "Because it was me."

Ms Innes and her partner Derek Kelso went to a police station to report what he had said and Maxwell was later arrested.

Ian Duguid QC, Maxwell's defence solicitor, said it was a "street robbery gone wrong" and that Mr Gormley "was in the wrong place at the wrong time".

He said Maxwell and Mr Gormley had attended the same secondary school and supported the same football team, but that they were "at opposite ends of the social spectrum".

Mr Duguid said Maxwell had not expected to be challenged when carrying out the robbery.

The court heard that Maxwell had bruising to his arm and that Mr Gormley also had a defence wound on his hand.

Mr Duguid said: "My client never set out that evening to deliberately kill anyone."

Judge Lady Doran deferred sentence on both of the men until next month.

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News