| 12.7°C Dublin

Man (22) 'lucky' to be alive after e-cigarette explodes in his mouth

Close

Ryan Bailey (22) suffered burns to his lips and hands after his e-cigarette exploded. Photo: Facebook

Ryan Bailey (22) suffered burns to his lips and hands after his e-cigarette exploded. Photo: Facebook

Ryan Bailey (22) suffered burns to his lips and hands after his e-cigarette exploded. Photo: Facebook

A 22-year-old man says he's lucky to be alive after his e-cigarette exploded in his mouth and caused considerable burns to his mouth and hands.

Ryan Bailey suffered a terrifying experience when his e-cigarette exploded while he was smoking it.

He was rushed to hospital with painful burns to his lips and hand, as well as damage to his teeth, and underwent four operations on his left hand, including a skin graft.

The factory worker now faces a fifth operation, as well as extensive dental work to repair the damage in his mouth.

"I'm just lucky to be here," he said when speaking to the Sunday Mirror.

"The doctors said if the blast hadn't hit my teeth it would have gone down my throat and killed me."

The explosion even set his carpet on fire when the accident took place on January 20.

The young man, from Shropshire in the UK, said the e-cigarette blew up in his mouth "with no warning" and set his carpet on fire when the incident took place at home on January 20.

"My sister was screaming and rang an ambulance immediately."

"I couldn't feel any pain at first due to the adrenaline so I didn't know how bad things were. I managed to put out the flames on the carpet - then I saw my hand and also looked at myself in the mirror. I couldn't believe it.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

"My face was black from the blast and my hand had swollen to twice its normal size. It was like having had a stick of dynamite in my hand."

This comes after a 62-year-old man died in Merseyside in the UK after his e-cigarette, which had been charging in his bedroom, exploded.

A father-of-three from Surrey had to be hospitalised in October 2015 after his e-cigarette allegedly scorched a hole in his lungs and spewed hot nicotine down his throat.

Electronic cigarettes have caused controversy in the US after three major lawsuits were filed after victims suffered multiple burns.

One of them - ex-LA Galaxy footballer Daniel Califf (35) was left with concussion, a hole in his cheek and burns to his face, ears and neck and his e-cigarette exploded.


Most Watched





Privacy