Wednesday 21 February 2018

Lucky escape for woman as jar of rhubarb explodes

Hayley Dixon London

A JAR of exploding rhubarb chutney lifted the ceiling at a retirement flat, causing a scene of destruction and shaking awake a 66-year-old woman.

The homemade preserve blew up in the fridge, ripping the door off of its hinges and startling Margaret Goodwin at 7am. When she investigated, she found that her family photographs had been smashed by the fridge door as it was flung across the kitchen of her home in Henley-on-Thames. The explosion had also temporarily lifted the ceiling, leaving cracks in the top of the wall, living room and porch, and blew the casing off an extractor fan.

The rhubarb chutney, a gift from a friend, had exploded when gas fermented and built up inside the glass jar.

"If I had been standing in the way, it would probably have killed me," said Mrs Goodwin.

"It had only been in the fridge for five days and I was looking forward to enjoying it." (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News