Tuesday 24 October 2017

London Tube strike called off

A planned three-day strike by London Underground workers in a row over Tube ticket office closures has been called off after last-ditch talks.

Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union were due to walk out from 9pm, but a breakthrough was made at a meeting with LU.

The union said the industrial action had been suspended.

Acting general secretary Mick Cash said: "Due to the solidarity and determination of our LU members, and their delivery of rock-solid industrial action last week, we have been able to secure real movement and significant progress on the issues at the heart of this dispute in talks with the Tube management over the bank holiday weekend.

"Pre-conditions have been removed, protection of earnings has been agreed and we now have a viable framework for a proper review of the cuts and closures programme.

"As a result of that progress, secured directly through our members campaign of industrial action and the union's drive to get the facts across to the people of London, we are able to suspend the action due to commence this evening and further talks around the fundamental issues of cuts to jobs, services and safety will now take place."

The development followed talks at the conciliation service.

An Acas spokeman said: "We are pleased that we have been able to assist the parties to reach an understanding that allows the industrial action this week to be withdrawn."

Online Editors

Editors Choice

Also in World News