Monday 23 October 2017

Killer parked car bomb feet from leader's office

John Bingham and Richard Alleyne in Oslo

Anders Behring Breivik parked the vehicle carrying a half-tonne bomb a few feet from the foyer of the Norwegian prime minister's office, it emerged yesterday.

Guards saw the mass-murderer park directly under the entrance canopy but did not challenge him as he was wearing a police uniform. Two minutes later, the bomb exploded.

The disclosure follows the admission earlier this week that Breivik came to the attention of Norway's intelligence services in March after buying a large quantity of chemicals from a Polish company but nothing was done. It also emerged that Breivik had been an active member of an Oslo shooting club since last year. Police have kept secret for operational reasons what is known about Breivik's exact movements in the run-up to the bombing in Oslo and shooting rampage in Utoya island that killed at least 76 people last Friday.

But an engineering publication, 'Teknisk Ukeblad', obtained readouts from the city's congestion charge system that registered the movements of two vehicles hired by Breivik. Norway has one of the most advanced systems of road tolls in the world, with a network of sensors and cameras around major cities.

Breivik built the bomb that brought devastation to the centre of Oslo in the remote farmhouse he had leased 100 miles from the capital.

Last week, he hired a Volkswagen Crafter van and a Fiat Doblo minivan, planning to use the VW to carry the bomb and the Fiat as his getaway vehicle.

According to sources, a roadside sensor at Ulven on the east side of Oslo registered the VW van passing into the city at 10pm on Wednesday, July 20. It is not known where it was parked.

Breivik took a train back to Rena, the village near his farmhouse, just after 1pm the next day and caught a taxi back to his home.


At 11pm that night, the grey Fiat hired by the 32-year-old far-right extremist was registered driving into Oslo to the east. At 11am the next day, the Fiat was captured by a sensor at Skoyen, in west Oslo, a few minutes from the apartment of Breivik's mother, driving into the centre. Four hours later, the VW passed the same spot. It was parked at the entrance to the prime minister's office by 3.20pm.

CCTV is said to show Breivik walking straight from the VW and getting into a car behind Marguerite Church. It appears that he had previously parked the Fiat behind a wall to save it from the shock wave of the explosion.

Police have refused to disclose the exact spot where Breivik left the bomb but photographs of the blast site show a crater directly outside the doors of the building.

The blast penetrated a basement below the courtyard. Experts believe that had there not been a basement, the whole building would have collapsed. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Editors Choice

Also in World News