Wednesday 16 October 2019

Jury retires again in footballers sexual assault trial

Brighton footballer Anton Rodgers (right) who is accused of sexual assault arrives with his father, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers,
Brighton footballer Anton Rodgers (right) who is accused of sexual assault arrives with his father, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers,

A jury has retired for a second day to consider verdicts in the retrial of four footballers accused of sexually assaulting a teenage girl.

The 19-year-old was photographed with the top of her pink dress pulled down so the players could show their friends, it is alleged.

She said she passed out after a night drinking in Brighton and woke to find herself in bed in a hotel in July 2011.

The four members of Brighton and Hove Albion football club had been celebrating a win when they met the woman in a club.

They told the Old Bailey the woman joined in the drunken banter and they did not assault her when she was sleeping.

Brighton and Hove Albion players Anton Rodgers, 20, Lewis Dunk, 21, and George Barker, 21, and former team-mate Steve Cook, 22, who now plays for Bournemouth, deny sexual assault.

Rodgers, son of Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, Barker and Cook also deny voyeurism. Dunk was cleared of the charge at an earlier trial where the jury could not agree verdicts on the others.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News