Tuesday 24 October 2017

Jury out in four-year-old Daniel Pelka’s murder trial

A jury has retired to consider its verdicts on a mother and stepfather accused of starving and murdering a four-year-old boy.

Mariusz Krezolek and Magdelena Luczak are alleged to have subjected Daniel Pelka to an "escalating and incomprehensible" campaign of cruelty before his death in March last year.

Daniel, a pupil at Coventry's Little Heath Primary School, is alleged to have been force-fed salt and ordered to perform punishment exercises as part of a deliberate campaign to cause him harm.

Polish nationals Krezolek, 34, and Luczak, 27, both deny murdering Daniel but have admitted a charge of child cruelty.

A nine-week trial at Birmingham Crown Court has been told the couple were arrested after Daniel was found to have died from a head injury at his Coventry home.

Krezolek, a factory worker, told the trial he had not hit Daniel around the head and only witnessed him suffer a series of falls prior to his death.

Luczak, originally from the Polish city of Lodz, told the jury she was prevented from feeding Daniel by his stepfather.

Krezolek "hated" Daniel, Luczak claimed, and gave him physical punishments, including squats, almost every day.

During her summing up of the case, which began last week, Mrs Justice Cox told jurors they must act "calmly and objectively" in considering their verdicts.

Online Editors

Editors Choice

Also in World News