Jogger dies when high voltage cable comes down in field
A MAN has died in the UK after an electricity cable came down in a field setting the area alight, firefighters said.
The man, thought to be a jogger, was killed in the incident at about 8.40pm last night near Debden Road in Newport, Essex.
A fire service spokesman said: "Crews arriving at the scene requested the attendance of an ambulance for one male casualty suffering severe burns.
"The electricity board was called to isolate power to the cable and at 9.52pm firefighters were standing by as disconnection took place.
"This has been confirmed as a fatal incident.
"A joint police and fire service investigation will be carried out."
An Essex Police spokesman said the man, who was in his 50s and from the nearby Saffron Walden area, had come into contact with a high voltage power line.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The spokesman said: "Police have launched a joint investigation with Essex County Fire and Rescue Service. The Health and Safety Executive has been informed."
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said crews were called just after 8.45pm.
They arrived seven minutes later but the man was already dead.
Crews treated two other patients on the scene for minor electric shocks.
A spokeswoman said: "This was a tragic and very difficult incident. Our thoughts are with the man's family."