| -0.2°C Dublin

Joanna Yeates murder: 32-year-old man arrested

A 32-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of Joanna Yeates one month after she first went missing.

The landscape architect's body was found on Longwood Lane, Failand, North Somerset, on Christmas Day morning, sparking a huge police operation.

The 25-year-old disappeared on December 17 after an evening out with colleagues in Bristol. Her boyfriend, Greg Reardon, 27, reported her missing when he returned home on December 19.

Her snow-covered body was found around three miles away from their home in the Clifton area of Bristol.

Detective Chief Inspector Phil Jones, Avon and Somerset Police's senior investigating officer, said: "I would like to thank the public for their continued support for the investigation and the information they have provided to us.

"I would also like to pay tribute to Jo's family and to Greg who continue to be unfailing in their support to me and my team at what is an incredibly difficult and painful time for them."

Earlier this week Miss Yeates' family issued a tearful television appeal to the general public to report any suspicious behaviour of friends or relatives in a bid to find her killer. They warned that the murderer could strike again if not caught.

Detectives revealed on Wednesday that they have received 304 calls from the public since the appeal.

A reconstruction of Miss Yeates's final hours was also aired on Crimewatch on the BBC.

Staff at BDP, the architecture and design company where Miss Yeates worked for two years, are considering a memorial to her. A possible venue is the site of her final project, a £430m hospital in Bristol.

This is the second arrest made by police in the hunt for Miss Yeates's killer.

Her landlord Christopher Jefferies was arrested and questioned by police for three days in January.

However, the former English teacher, 65, was later granted bail.

Certain aspects of Miss Yeates's disappearance have puzzled police.

No trace of a Tesco Finest pizza she bought, or its packaging, has been found and police believe finding the item could help them solve the case. Forensic tests have confirmed that Miss Yeates did not eat the pizza before she was killed.

She also bought two bottles of cider on December 17. Both were found and one was opened.

Friends have dismissed suggestions that Miss Yeates was involved with someone other than her boyfriend who she might have arranged to meet the evening that she went missing.

Police are reported to be working on the theory that Miss Yeates, 25, was killed inside the flat, put inside the bag then transported into a vehicle where she might have been left for several days. This would explain why there are no signs of dragging on Miss Yeates's body.

Guests attending a party on Miss Yeates's street on the night she disappeared have reported hearing a woman's screams.