Wednesday 17 July 2019

Italy's first swine flu death reported

Italy announced its first swine flu victim - a 51-year-old Neapolitan man with chronic heart problems, who died in a Naples hospital this morning.

Cotugno Hospital health director, Dr Cosimo Maiorino, said swine flu, also known as the AH1N1 virus, was one of several serious health problems the patient suffered, and might not have been the sole cause of death.

Maiorino said in an interview on Sky TG24 TV that the man, who had been in hospital for several days, developed kidney failure as well as sepsis, a spreading bacterial infection, while he was being treated for the flu.

The patient also had long been afflicted with debilitating health problems, including diabetes and a serious heart condition, which in themselves could have been life-threatening, the doctor said.

The Italian news agency Apcom said the man had lived with his mother in Naples and hadn't travelled abroad.

Italy has reported some 2,000 swine flu cases nationwide.

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News