Monday 18 December 2017

Imran Farooq: widow's tears as she appeals for help to catch killer

Peter Hutchison

The widow of a Pakistani politician murdered in London last week broke down in tears as she appealed for help to catch those responsible for his death.

Dr Imran Farooq, 50, died from stab wounds and head injuries after he was attacked outside his home in Edgware, north London, last Thursday evening.

His wife, Shumaila Imran 42, said the death of a “loving father and husband” had “devastated” her and left the family in “a state of shock and disbelief”.

Mrs Imran, who has two sons aged five and three, said: “I want to make my own personal appeal for help in catching the people who killed my husband. Dr Imran Farooq was a dedicated family man, a loving father and a loving husband.

“His murder a week ago has devastated me and left our family in a state of shock and disbelief. My husband was on his way home from work when he was set upon and attacked.

Mrs Imran, who was speaking at Scotland Yard, added: “I want to appeal today for anyone who has any information about the attack on Imran to come forward and tell the police what they know. Someone, somewhere knows something about my husband’s murder.”

Dr Farooq was found with fatal injuries outside his home in Green Lane, Edgware, shortly before 5.30pm on the 16 September.

He was a prominent member of the Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM) party and police are investigating whether the murder was politically motivated. His murder sparked days of rioting and mourning in Karachi.

Scotland Yard’s Counter-Terrorism Command, which investigates political assassinations, has been brought in to help catch his killers.

Detective Chief Superintendent Neil Basu, borough commander for Barnet, said: “Dr Farooq’s murder shocked the Edgware, Pakistani and Muslim communities and I would like to reassure everyone detectives are doing all they possibly can to catch those responsible.”

Dr Farooq was forced into hiding in 1992 during a violent struggle for control of Karachi and was accused of involvement in the kidnap, murder and torture of political opponents – accusations he always denied.

He sought sanctuary in London eleven years ago and worked at a pharmacy near his home and close to the headquarters of MQM.

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News