Sunday 8 December 2019

Husband admits beheading his scientist wife

Bioscientist Samantha Ho died last September
Bioscientist Samantha Ho died last September

Emily Pennink

A man has admitted beheading his scientist wife.

Bioscientist Samantha Ho, 39, was found dead at a house in St Neots, Cambridgeshire, in September last year.

Her head and body were discovered separately and a post-mortem examination concluded she died after suffering multiple cuts to the neck.

In December, her husband, Timothy Allen, 40, of Curlew Place, St Neots, pleaded not guilty to murdering her on August 29 2015.

His trial was due to start at Cambridge Crown Court earlier this week, but during a brief hearing before Mrs Justice McGowan at the Old Bailey today, he pleaded guilty to manslaughter by diminished responsibility.

The plea to the lesser charge was accepted by the prosecution and sentencing was adjourned until March 17 at either a London crown court or in Cambridge.

The defendant entered his plea via video link from Wymondham Police Station in Norfolk.

Armed officers had forced entry to the house after Cambridgeshire Police were alerted by the ambulance service on August 29 last year.

Allen was arrested at the scene and taken to Hinchingbrooke Hospital for treatment for a serious but not life-threatening injury.

He was later taken to Thorpe Wood police station for questioning and charged with murder.

Following the hearing, Detective Chief Inspector Richard Wall said: "This is a tragic case, where a woman lost her life and families have been torn apart.

"Timothy Allen's plea today will bring closure to the police investigation but will never bring Samantha back.

"Our deepest sympathies are with her family and friends at this difficult time."

The victim's family said in a statement: "Samantha was a well-loved, well-respected, kind-hearted young lady.

"She had a bright future ahead of her with lots of aspirations. She wanted to be a great scientist, have time to travel the world, realise her dreams and spend more time with family.

"However, on that fateful day, August 29 2015, Samantha was tragically taken away from us.

"That day was a day where a part of us died. No plea nor verdict can bring Samantha back, though we put our faith in the justice system to make amends to the crime."

PA Media

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News