Wednesday 24 January 2018

'How could our healthy baby girl choke to death on nursery food?'

Tragic: Millie Thompson
Tragic: Millie Thompson

Kim Pilling

A mother has demanded to know how her nine-month-old daughter could have choked to death after being fed mashed-up shepherd's pie at a nursery.

Millie Thompson started coughing and crying during her feed before her lips turned blue, an inquest jury was told.

Staff at Ramillies Hall private nursery in Cheadle Hulme, Stockport, England, performed first aid on the child and then rang for an ambulance.

The baby was still breathing and conscious when a call operator advised the school to call back if her condition worsened and said paramedics were on the way, the inquest heard.

By the time the ambulance arrived 10 minutes later, Millie had gone into cardiac arrest and less than an hour later she was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Yesterday her mother, Joanne, said she wanted answers as to how Millie died on October 23 last year.

Addressing the jury while clutching one of her daughter's shoes, she said: "All we want to know is how our perfectly healthy daughter was dropped off where we felt she was safe and did not come home.

"How could she have choked on mashed potato? All we want to know is how did this happen."

She told South Manchester Coroner John Pollard that it was only her daughter's third full day at the school which they had chosen on recommendation.

Nursery supervisor Alison Pope fed Millie at lunchtime.

She told the hearing she did not have paediatric first aid training.

The hearing is scheduled to last three days.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News