Friday 17 November 2017

How a police shooting turned to chaos


•6.15pm, August 4: Police shot dead a 29-year-old man in Ferry Lane, Tottenham, who had been travelling in a minicab. He was named locally as Mark Duggan, a father of four. Officers had stopped the cab to carry out an arrest as part of a pre-planned operation, according to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

•5.30pm, August 6: About 120 people marched peacefully from the local area of Broadwater Farm to Tottenham police station, demanding "justice" for Mr Duggan's family.

•8.20pm, August 6: Two police cars parked about 200 yards from the police station were attacked. A number of bottles were thrown at the vehicles, one was set alight and the second was pushed into the middle of the High Road. It was subsequently set alight.

Riots broke out in which windows were smashed, a petrol bomb was thrown, and buildings set on fire. A double-decker bus was also set alight.

Hundreds of people gathered in the street. Police tried to break up the crowd but bottles and other missiles were thrown at them.

•3am, August 7: A group of teenagers and adults looted almost all the stores in Tottenham Hale Retail Park half a mile away. Police said one officer was taken to hospital and seven others were injured in the riots.

A total of 26 officers were injured during the unrest and 42 people were arrested.

•11.15am, August 7: Local MP David Lammy, speaking from behind the police tape on the High Road, called for calm. Crowds of local residents gathered at the cordon, some still angry with the police, others angrier with the rioters.

•6.30pm, August 7: Clashes break out in nearby Enfield Town where 200 hooded youths gathered. Shops on the High Street were vandalised and looted and vehicles were set on fire. Police used dogs and baton charges in a bid to restore order.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News