Friday 23 March 2018

House fire tragedy mother dies

A discarded cigarette was believed to have started the house fire
A discarded cigarette was believed to have started the house fire

A mother has died more than two years after she lost her three children in a horrific house fire.

Samantha Hudson, 29, never recovered from the devastating injuries she suffered before she was rescued from her home in Bridlington, East Yorkshire.

William Beal, nine, Antony Fothergill, five, and three-year-old Maddie Hudson died in the blaze in November 2010 after they were overcome by smoke and fumes. Now Ms Hudson's family has confirmed she died at the weekend.

Despite surviving the blaze, Ms Hudson was first in a coma and, when she regained consciousness, severe brain damage left her unable to walk or eat.

Her mother, Sharon Hudson, told ITV Calendar News: "Even though where she's been for the last two years, we could go and we could talk to her, and we could touch her, and we could hug her. Now we can't. Now she's gone. We're all going to miss her terribly."

An inquest into the children's deaths heard how a discarded cigarette ignited clothing that had been left under a bay window.

It is thought Ms Hudson had fallen asleep on the floor of the living room.

The inquest heard that she was woken by the smoke alarm and went upstairs to help the children. She gathered them in a bedroom and firefighters found the family huddled together.

Recording a verdict of accidental death in March 2011, coroner Geoffrey Saul said: "The loss of these three very young children can only be described as tragic. It is a word often used but it is a word which can only be used in these circumstances."

Ms Hudson's funeral is expected to take place next week.

Press Association

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News