| 16.2°C Dublin

Heroes who subdued Paris train gunman


A BLOODY SLAUGHTER AVERTED: French emergency services transport a victim after a shooting on the Amsterdam to Paris Thalys high-speed train in Arras

A BLOODY SLAUGHTER AVERTED: French emergency services transport a victim after a shooting on the Amsterdam to Paris Thalys high-speed train in Arras

A BLOODY SLAUGHTER AVERTED: French emergency services transport a victim after a shooting on the Amsterdam to Paris Thalys high-speed train in Arras

For the passengers trapped in carriages 12 and 13 with nowhere to run, the terror must have been unimaginable.

It was just after 5.50pm on the high-speed Amsterdam to Paris train, that the slightly-built young man emerged from a lavatory between the two carriages. He was bare-chested and brandishing a Kalashnikov automatic rifle, some kind of knife and a handgun. Then he took aim.

One passenger told how he was reading a magazine, whiling away the time. The train had just crossed the border from Belgium into France when he heard a 'click, click, click'.

"I thought it was a toy," said Damien (35), a French passenger. "The man stopped between two carriages, fired and it made a click-click-click sound, not at all like in the films."

Christina Cathleen Coons (28), an American tourist from New York, was sat in carriage 12 when she heard shots ring out. "I heard gunshots, probably two, and a guy collapsed," she said. "Blood was everywhere, apparently he was hit in the neck. [I thought] Maybe I'm next. Is this train going to get shot up?"

Another American tourist - who gave her name only as Amy - had been sitting beneath the window in carriage 12 when the glass shattered around her. "I saw the glass fall over my wife's shoulders," said her husband, Joe.

The passengers were caught with nowhere to run and with no way of escaping. The train from this point on was non-stop to Paris. The last stop had been Brussels, where the terrorist, wearing pale coloured trousers and a black T-shirt, had boarded the train unnoticed, his weapons hidden away in a holdall and backpack.

Accounts vary as to what precisely happened when the shooting started. According to some reports, a French passenger who had left his seat to go to the lavatory then tried to disarm the gunman.

"[He] courageously tried to tackle him before the attacker fired several shots," said Bernard Cazeneuve, the French Interior Minister. It is thought that passenger may have been shot through the neck or else slashed across the throat with a knife or box-cutter.

The gunman appeared to have the carriage and the rest of the train at his mercy. According to Jean-Hugues Anglade, a French actor, train staff ran for cover, locking themselves into their private office.

And then - as if a miracle - a metaphorical US cavalry arrived in the form of two off-duty US servicemen on holiday in Europe. Their fortune was compounded by eyewitnesses evidence that the AK47, the normally reliable weapon of choice of terrorists, had jammed.

Spencer Stone, a US airman, was beginning his holiday in France with two friends Alek Skarlatos (22), a member of the US National Guard, from Oregon, and Anthony Sadler, a college student from Pittsburg, California. The trio heard a gunshot and the sound of glass breaking and watched as a train employee raced past them with the gunman in pursuit, "cocking his gun to shoot".

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Mr Skarlatos turned to his friend Mr Stone, a powerfully built serviceman with close-cut hair, and uttered a simple command. "Go get him."

With that, Mr Stone leapt up from his seat, ran at least 10 metres through the carriage and grabbed the gunman before he could fire any further shots.

Chris Norman, a British consultant, was sitting close to the trio and witnessed the events unfolding. "I ducked down in my seat," said Mr Norman, a consultant. "Alek looked at what was happening, Spencer looked at what was happening, and Alek said to Spencer, 'Go get him'. Spencer jumped up and tackled him and actually started getting the terrorist under control."

Mr Skarlatos said: "Spencer ran a good 10 metres to get to the guy and we didn't know that his gun wasn't working or anything like that. Spencer just ran anyway and if anybody would have gotten shot it would have been Spencer for sure and we are very lucky that nobody got killed, especially Spencer."

Mr Stone was slashed with a knife a number of times and Mr Skarlatos, who had recently returned for a tour of duty in Afghanistan, piled in, smashing him about the head with the butt of the guman's own weapon.

"At that point I showed up and grabbed the gun from him and basically started beating him in the head until he fell unconscious," said Mr Skarlatos.

As they tried to subdue him, the terrorist bizarrely pleaded for the Americans to give him back his rifle. "He didn't say anything," said Mr Skarlatos, "He was just telling us to give back his gun. 'Give me back my gun! Give me back my gun!' But we just carried on beating him up and immobilised him and that was it."

Mr Skarlatos later told Sky News: "I grabbed the handgun, got the handgun away from the guy and threw it. Then I grabbed the AK [automatic rifle] which was at his feet and started muzzle-thumping him in he head with it.

"Everybody just started beating on the guy while Spencer held the choke hold, until he went unconscious at that point. People started to restrain him."

Mr Norman (62) was one of those. "We ended up by tying him up, then during the process, the guy actually pulled out a cutter and starting cutting Spencer," said Mr Norman. "He cut Spencer behind the neck, he nearly cut his thumb off too. Spencer held him and we eventually got him under control. He went unconscious, I think."

Incredible video footage taken by Anthony Sadler and posted on CNN news channel shows the aftermath. The gunman is lying on the floor of the carriage. He is wearing white trousers, trainers and is bare chested. He is face down, his hands tied behind his back with some item of clothing used as a makeshift rope.

The video shows another man bloodied and on the floor and blood on the nearby window. Mr Stone had helped staunch the flow of blood of the other injured man before he too became too weak from his own injuries.

The video pans to a Kalashnikov rifle propped up against the window while voices can be heard asking if anybody has found a second weapon.

The passengers had also got lucky. Incredibly, the AK47 had jammed, according to Mr Skarlatos, who examined the weapon. "I noticed when I removed the round in the chamber of the AK that the primer had been struck, which means he pulled the trigger on the AK," he said. "The primer was just faulty, so the gun did not go off, luckily, and he did not know how to fix it, which was also very lucky.

"When I cleared the handgun I also noticed that there was no magazine in it - so he had either dropped it accidentally or did not load it properly. He was only able to get what appeared to be one shot off with the handgun."

Fifteen minutes later, the train pulled into Arras station in northern France; the ordeal over. The gunman was held down on the platform by police officers. The gunman stares up at the camera, his identity plainly visible. He was later named as Ayoub El Khazzani, a 26-year-old Moroccan who had boarded the train at Brussels at just after 5.10pm

Mr Stone and the other injured man were rushed to hospital. Mr Stone, according to his friends, was "in good spirits" and "doing great"; the other man also out of danger.

The Americans had become heroes. Just like in the movies, they had stopped the bad guy.


Telegraph Media Group Limited [2022]

Most Watched