Ex-soldier guilty of sex attacks over 16 years
A former soldier has been convicted of a string of sex attacks during which he told one victim: "I don't believe this, I'm a good-looking bloke," when she rejected his advances.
Brian Witty (41), previously a Territorial Army parachute regiment captain, was found guilty of three rapes and one sexual assault by a jury at Kingston-upon-Thames Crown Court in Surrey, England yesterday.
He launched four attacks between 1995 and 2011, meeting two of his victims through a dating website and pouncing on the others following chance encounters in bars.
He warned one of the women he had been in the forces and could do whatever he wanted -- "even kill her".
The defendant, of Teddington in south-west London, denied the charges but a jury of eight women and four men found him guilty of all charges.
Adjourning sentencing for reports until May 25, Judge Nicholas Price QC said: "In the circumstances it is inevitable that you will be sentenced to a very long term of imprisonment."
During the trial, Prosecutor Edmund Gritt told the court: "What emerges from the four different accounts of the four different women is one picture of one man who, with quite a few drinks inside him, is determined to get what he wants and who will not take no for an answer."
After the verdicts Mr Gritt told the court Witty had been previously been convicted of common assault on the mother of his son.