Saturday 16 December 2017

Ex-partner held after mum and son 'hacked to death'

Danielle Dwyer in Oxford

A mother and son were hacked to death in their own home yesterday by a man wielding an axe.

The woman's teenage daughter was badly hurt in the attack and her 13-year-old sister "severely traumatised", police said.

Armed police arrested a 43-year-old man a few hours later in Wiltshire, England. Police said the suspect was the woman's former partner.

Detectives and forensic investigators found a "horrific" scene when they arrived at the terrace home yesterday morning.

The mother, in her 40s, was discovered in the property in Banbury, Oxfordshire, by police at 6.45am, along with her son, who was in his 20s.


The victims were apparently murdered inside the house, but two of the woman's daughters managed to flee the scene.

A girl in her late teens was badly injured and her 13-year-old sister escaped uninjured.

Detective Inspector Steve Duffy confirmed the murder victims were believed to be mother and son and said of the surviving sisters: "They have obviously been through a horrific ordeal this morning."

Mr Duffy added: "As you can appreciate, officers went to the address and were faced with a horrific scene. There were two people obviously dead or very close to death at the scene.

"All I can confirm is their injuries are consistent with blunt trauma and I can't say if an axe was used but a firearm was not used. The police traced a suspect to an address in Wiltshire and police went to that address and effected an arrest."

The policeman said there was a "background" to the deaths and they were not random attacks. The two survivors will be interviewed by detectives later today if they can face it.

Mr Duffy said police had received no previous calls to the address regarding domestic incidents. The victims have not been formally identified and post-mortems will be held later today to establish cause of death.

The family are believed to have lived in the house for a year, Mr Duffy said.

More than 40 police officers were working on the investigation this afternoon. The end-terrace house remained cordoned off, and a long stretch of the road was closed to traffic and pedestrians.

Police officers were also present at a second house in Mold Crescent, opposite the scene of the attack.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News