Ex-MP Eric Joyce walks free over 'unprovoked' assault on teens
Former MP Eric Joyce has avoided jail after attacking two teenagers in an ''unjustified and unprovoked'' assault in a shop in north London.
The 54-year-old attacked the boys aged 14 and 15 at News and Food Express in Chalk Farm on October 17.
District Judge John Zani, passing sentence at Westminster Magistrates' Court, handed down a 10-week jail term suspended for two years and a £1,080 fine, and ordered that he must attend a rehabilitation programme which aims to reduce violent behaviour.
Joyce, former MP for Falkirk, insisted at the trial earlier this month that he was performing a ''citizen's arrest'' but the judge found him guilty of two counts of common assault.
Read More: Former MP to be sentenced for 'unjustified and unprovoked' assault on teens
Prosecutor Jonathan Swain told the court that it was an "unjustified and unprovoked assault on both boys".
Speaking after the hearing, Joyce said: "I think that is a fair outcome."
Asked if he felt remorse for his actions, he added: "Of course. In the end it was a 14-year-old boy and that is a shame and a cause of considerable remorse and I have to both pay the price and make sure I don't do it again."