Tuesday 21 January 2020

Ex BBC driver appears in court to face sexual assault charges

Jimmy Savile
Jimmy Savile

Ryan Hooper

A DRIVER has appeared in court over sex offences as part of the investigation triggered by allegations of abuse against Jimmy Savile.

David Smith, 66, of Effingham Road in Lewisham, south east London appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court today.

He entered no plea and was released on bail until July 12 when he will appear at Southwark Crown Court.

Smith is accused of two counts of indecent assault, two of gross indecency and one of buggery in 1984, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said.

He was the first person to be charged under Operation Yewtree, the national investigation prompted after claims were made against disgraced TV presenter Savile.

The CPS previously said charges are two counts of indecent assault on a boy under 14 between June 1 and July 21, 1984; two counts of gross indecency with a boy under 14 between the same dates; and buggery of a boy under 16 between July 1 and 21, 1984.

The counts relate to one victim.

Scotland Yard has led the national investigation, Operation Yewtree, and separated its inquiries into those involving Savile, those involving Savile and others, and those involving others. Smith has been investigated under the "others" strand.

PA Media

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News