Thursday 14 December 2017

Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb threat

The Eiffel Tower was evacuated after an anonymous phone caller made a bomb threat.

Nearly 1,400 people were cleared from the tourist attraction following a request from tower operators after the warning, a Paris police official said. Police then searched the monument with sniffer dogs and set up a security perimeter.

No explosives were found and the site was to be reopened, the official said .

French authorities have stepped up anti-terror measures in recent weeks amid heightened concern about threats to France over its military campaign against al Qaida-linked fighters in Mali which began more than two months ago.

The tower is occasionally evacuated because of such warnings - at least once last year and twice in 2011. The 1,063ft tower is one of the world's top tourist attractions, with millions of visitors a year.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News