Saturday 21 September 2019

Dutch teenage 'gunman' acted alone says police

A man wielding a pistol stands in a TV studio of Dutch national broadcaster NOS in Amsterdam
A man wielding a pistol stands in a TV studio of Dutch national broadcaster NOS in Amsterdam

David Kearns

Dutch police are satisfied that the 19-year-old who stormed the country’s national broadcaster NOS and demanded to go on live television acted alone.

The student, who was armed with a fake pistol, force his way into the TV studio and demanded to address the nation over conspiracy theories involving the Free Masons and a ‘new world order’.

Footage showed the young man offering no resistance when police arrested him at gunpoint.

 Today, a spokesperson for the Dutch police said that the 19-year-old was still in custody, adding that his claims about “explosives” and belonging to a “hacker’s organisation” had been fabricated.

“There is no evidence of any connection with other events in the Netherlands or abroad," she said.

Read more: Gunman storms into Dutch TV studio demanding airtime

 The Dutch minister for security and justice Ivo Opstelten issued a statement earlier today saying that the young man faces charges of kidnapping and making threats of violence.

 The suspect, whose name is not being released due to Dutch privacy laws, has been named locally as Tarik Z, a first student University of Delft.

 Former classmates of the young man described him as a "normal guy" fascinated by conspiracy theories.

 He is believed to have been born in Zoetermeer, a city in the western Netherlands, and spent most of his life living with his mother, stepfather and brother on a farm in southern Holland.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News