Thursday 22 March 2018

Did acid attack woman harm herself? Claims that Naomi Oni researched attacks before being scarred

Naomi Oni
Naomi Oni

Rob Williams

Police are thought to have seized the computer of a woman badly scarred in an acid attack amid suspicions she may have inflicted the injuries on herself, a Sunday newspaper has claimed.

According to a report in the Sunday Times, the family of Naomi Oni, 20, who suffered severe burns to her face, leg and arm in an acid attack, are concerned too little is being done by police to catch her attackers.

The report also claims those close to Miss Oni are worried detectives are spending too much time following a 'crazy' line of inquiry that she may have carried out the attack herself.

It is claimed in the Sunday Times report that the police investigation discovered that Naomi Oni had searched the internet for websites relating to acid attacks.

It is also claimed that she searched the web for material relating to Katie Piper, a former model who was badly injured when sulphuric acid was thrown at her in an attack arranged by her boyfriend.

Officers are said to have questioned Miss Oni's relatives over whether she inflicted the injuries herself, claims that her boyfriend Ato Owede, 23, described as 'crazy'.

Mr Owede told the Sunday Times: 'They (the police) need to keep investigating.

'They're concentrating on the wrong things at the moment in terms of researching acid attacks and stuff like that.

'They are just coming to a silly conclusion.'

Naomi Oni, who worked for the Victoria's Secret lingerie chain, suffered horrific burns and was temporarily blinded in the attack at the end of last year.

She spent more than a month in hospital and issued an emotional appeal to help find her attacker on her release, saying: “They may have burnt my skin, but they can't burn my soul.”

Miss Oni had described her attacker as a women wearing a full Muslim veil, or niqab.

In an emotional interview on ITV's 'This Morning' programme she told presenter Philip Schofield, “I just remember the person staring at me - a cold stare”.

The incident occurred on December 30th last year, but details only emerged at the beginning of this month, following Ms Oni's emotional appeal.

At the time of the incident she said: “I’ve always been outgoing and confident – used to getting attention for the way I dress or my hair – but now I don’t want anyone looking at me.

”I don’t want people to see me in public. I don’t want to get the Tube or the bus. If I have to go to the hospital I take a taxi.“

She also told the BBC that when she first saw the extent of her injuries that she wanted to die, saying: ”I've never been so scared in my life. I just knew it was acid.

“The first time I looked I was shocked. I didn't want to live after I saw my face.”

According to the report in the Sunday Times, police sought to retrieve her laptop on January 28th, but were unable to locate it - it was later handed over by Miss Oni's disabled mother Marian Yalekhue.

The report also alleges that Miss Oni told detectives that she had searched websites relating to acid attacks but has dismissed claims that she could have injured herself.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said they were 'continuing to look at a number of articles of evidence'. No arrests have yet been made in the case.

Independent News Service

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News